Friday, June 27, 2008

Elfa

In an effort to get organized and prepared for little kiddo #2, I have a list of projects that I would like to get done. One of them is getting some form of shelving in our hall closet. It is rather large (deep and tall) and could hold TONS of stuff if only there was more than one shelf in there.

Last night I went to The Container Store because I had heard they have great organization solutions for closets (aka: Elfa). In my pre-kiddo days, I was an organizing fool...and I also had a salary to go with it! Anyway, the sales lady at TCS created a really cool plan for my closet that took into account measurements, storage needs, etc.

Only problem....they wanted $797 for the shelving system.....without any additional clear containers to house the things to go on the $797 shelves.

HELP! Does anyone have any alternatives to Elfa shelving?

4 comments:

Heather Nicole said...

My only thought would be to take the layout design and build it yourself. Does not sound like much fun, but it would save you tons of money I would guess.

D said...

Okay...we just did an Elfa plan in Ella's little closet (no where near that much money, but not cheap!) I will tell you this...we tried a less expensive kind from Home Depot and it kept falling out of the wall.

Try this...but the cross bar at the top and the hanging standards that go down to the floor...buy your first couple of shelves to get it going...then add to it over the months...you can always buy it in sections. Of course they want you to buy it all...but just buy what you want and add to it...

Does that make sense?

life with the wisners said...

ikea. they have one or two different elfa-type storage shelves. one is $39. they look like elfa and are just as sturdy. try looking around their storage section. it's awesome. and very affordable.

Cyndi said...

I did see some great stuff recently at Ikea. And to *me*, THAT is "high end" LOL. I'm a stackable-Rubbermaid-drawers-from-Dollar-General kind of closet organizer, though. ;) Can't wait to see what you come up with, as we will have two preteen boys sharing the smallest closet in the house. :)

Love y'all!