Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Crisis Averted

Last night before going to bed I checked my e-mails and found one from the courier handling our dossier in D.C.; she stated there were two glitches in our dossier and the only logical solution for fixing them would entail re-doing the paperwork (not so big of a deal) and then driving it all back down to Austin to be re-certified & shipped back to D.C. (big deal). I went to bed fuming and frustrated.

When I woke up this morning, I had a new, patient attitude (certainly not stemming from my own will or strength) and thought that I would do it all again with a smile on my face. After sharing chocolate cupcakes with my little man for breakfast (okay, we don't really EVER do this but I thought the situation deemed it necessary), we loaded up in the car to make the trek across DFW to get the documents and then head back down to Austin.

While in the car retrieving my other saving grace I thought I might just want to call the courier and verify that I completely understood everything she needed. While we were talking she had the brilliant idea for me to skip all the driving and just scan in the originals from our picture book (the document missing) as the country we are adopting from does NOT need it notarized or certified (our case worker was correct in her decision) - just present. And, while there are more details to the story, I will spare you!

In the end, it all ended up okay and I received a very gentle reminder that the adoption process is never what you expect. Just because you don't have a baby growing inside you doesn't mean that it won't be easy. You just have different issues to worry about or handle.

So, while this crisis has been averted, I know there WILL be another one along the way, and I will do my best not to panic right away next time!

5 comments:

Julie said...

so I have to say that my heart is right there with you. I am so sorry that these things happen. "They" always say that things won't go smooth, but one would think and as Type A as you and I are about this situation, it would run smooth. But I'm so glad your trip was saved. And I'm really glad that you too find comfort in Texas Necture (Dr. Pepper). Sorry I wasn't able to talk to you the other day. Praying for you right now. Seems like the countdown is really here.

D said...

I texted K earlier today to find out this news...so glad you didn't have to go to Austin!!!

Kristen said...

YEAH!!! I'm so glad it all worked out!

Mom to many said...

Just read your blog for the first time - LOVE your T-shirts. I might have to order some.... they are the best. I had some designed for our adoption, but... we now have our referral and court date - on June 10th and didn't ever get them made.... Do you have any on hand now???

Cyndi said...

Oh my, Jill! I missed this this week, I'm sorry! I would have been praying!! I'm glad it all worked out. That's weird... we didn't need to send our photo book to D.C. In fact, that's when we were working on it. Is your dossier going straight to Africa from there?

It's getting closer!!!! Yey!!