Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Accountable Kids - Love It!

This is the newest addition to our home (proudly decorated by the one and only G-man):





We call it the "Chore Chart" but it is really called the "Accountable Kids" program. I have been looking for a system for Garrett that would encompass a few daily responsibilities (get dressed, brush teeth, make bed - a list so to speak) as well as a positive reinforcement system that I could keep up with and some sort of calendar/daily activities (ie: music day, dr's appointment, church). While this system has SO much more to offer, we are only using a few bits and pieces that are age appropriate and let me just tell you, it is AWESOME!!


Garrett has three sets of chores (they are color coded for morning, mid-day, night) that are followed my earning a "ticket" to be used for a in-home reward (computer time, special toys, etc) and at the end of each day, if he has done all of his chores without losing all of his "obedience cards" (there are 3 per day) then he earns a star sticker....which will eventually earn him a special treat of his choice (pre-picked out .... last time it was a new bicycle basket, this time a water sprinkler toy).


Garrett TOTALLY digs this system and it has allowed for less stress and more consistency in behavior, daily productivity, etc on both his part AND mine. We are not strict about doing this - Garrett usually reminds US it's time to check the chart! We have tweaked the system and renamed several items but it really has worked for almost a month now. I highly recommend it to anyone! It is teaching Garrett so much and he is so very proud of his independence!

1 comment:

Heather Nicole said...

I love this idea! I think it is so important to teach our children responsibility at a young age. And there are fun ways to teach it. Garrett will benefit from this a great deal I'm sure! And I will definitely use this or something like it for Sammy when the time comes. Good Mommy decision Jill!!!!!