Last year in an effort to prompt (ah-hem, bribe) Garrett to potty train, I had promised him that if he would indeed potty, I would get him a fish like the ones he oo's and ah's over at doctor offices, etc. Well, two months after I offered that bribe, Garrett randomly and without prompting announced he was ready to go potty so he could get his fish. And so the fish was gotten. And named "Alzowee" by the little mister. We have no idea where he got this name.
Much to our surprise, Alzowee survived life in our home for almost ten months. Kenny noticed Alzowee died on Sunday night and texted me while I was grocery shopping with the breaking news. I did not have a game plan for this. So, we agreed we'd tell Garrett in the morning. But we both overslept and Kenny had to rush out the door to work.
So last night after dinner I explained to Garrett what had happened. If I remember correctly, he asked why and then ran to his little fish bowl to see what had happened. Kenny and I ran right after him. Garrett got VERY quiet and his little eyes became VERY wide....I was so worried he would become hysterically sad. But nope. Garrett just leaned in closer to the fish tank and said, "I'm sorry you died Alzowee. I will miss you."
And that was that. I had braced myself for the whole "where will he go now" and "where will we put him now" conversation but none was to be had. Kenny motioned for me to be quiet and not try to force any more conversation than he was ready for....strange to me but I went with it. Later Kenny whispered, "It'll come up again." because it ALWAYS comes up again with G-man.
To conclude the brief discussion of Alzowee's death, Garrett proclaimed that he wants to earn another fish. When we went into the kitchen to write that on his incentive chart, he changed his mind and decided he'd rather earn a big silver balloon.
Apparently life will go on without our dear, purple Alzowee fish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love it! I am laughing out loud. Kids are so stinkin' funny!!!
That is so funny! Kids are so random sometimes. Hm... let's see... a fish, or a big silver balloon? LOL. SO cute.
Post a Comment