Monday, July 28, 2008

African Food

Yesterday Kenny, Garrett and I met up with some members of our extended family (Kenny's parents, brother and fiance & my dad and step-mom) at an authentic African restaurant to try out some authentic African food.



This restaurant is specific to the country we are adopting from , and I think just the environment and mostly seeing the people from this country did my soul good. I spent so much of my time staring at the beautiful people....everything about them, from the shape of their faces to the shade of their skin and more, was soothing to me. Probably because they are the closest resemblance I have to my future daughter right now. I found myself wondering "Will she have a sharp jaw line, will her face be heart shaped, will her skin be light or dark, will, will, will....". I even began to wonder how accustomed will our daughter be to smelling food like this (even though she probably won't be eating solids like these just yet)? Are these smells soothing to her? Will the aroma of our foods be bothersome to her initially when she comes home? So many questions whirring through my mind!

On to the food:

We ordered "family style" and got to sample a little bit of everything on the menu. While not too many of our party members taste buds enjoyed the food, I found it so much fun! I actually ate a lot. Come to think of it, myself and my father in law were the last ones still eating - that never happens to me! And, for those of you who know me well, you know I am not much of a risk taker when it comes to food. In fact, the two times I have been to Europe I survived on granola bars and toast. Seriously. So, this outing was a stretch for me! But I loved it!


This was one of the platters of food we got....it was full of veggies, chicken, and lamb. I can proudly say I tried it all (but still prefer the veggie route).


This was the bread used to dip the food up with - kind of a substitute for silver ware! It was like a spongy, sourdough-y tortilla...yummy!

At the end of dinner, some of us ordered tea and coffee. Again, those of you who know me well know I cannot stand hot drinks. BUT...I ordered and drank all of the hot tea! All in all, it was a great experience (for me anyway). I look forward to doing it again sometime soon! Any takers?

4 comments:

jordan said...

greater love has no mommy than this, that she would lay aside her own eating preferences (and long-held idiosyncrasies...hot drinks anyone?) so that she could try to understand her child's culture just a little better!

all joking aside, i think this is an amazing thing you guys did. and kudos to your family for getting onboard!

D said...

Not only have we been there, but I would definitely take up your offer to meet you there for dinner! Yummy!

I'm hungry thinking about it...

Did you eat the raw ground beef?

Linsey said...

What a great way to start bonding with your daughter. That is so special of you. You guys are going to be great parents for her! Where is this resturant?

Cyndi said...

Oh you KNOW we're in! We love it!! :)