Sunday, July 20, 2008

SCC Concert

Friday night Kenny and I met up with our friends, Heather and Jordan, for the Steven Curtis Chapman concert! The very first time I saw his show was during our first year of marriage. We went with our same friends then (plus a few more) and I remember having to leave the concert because I was weeping so hard and so loudly. At the concert, SCC presented/spotlighted adoption - something that was near and dear to my heart even then. But it was that night in 2002 that I feel like God confirmed in my heart that adoption would be an avenue to parenting for me....I just didn't know when or how. Kenny thought I was crazy. I mean, I was bawling like a baby.

About 7-8 months later, when faced with our infertility diagnosis, I was laying down on the floor, weeping once again, and the words from a Steven Curtis Champan song kept scrolling through my mind....."God is God and I not. God is God and I am man." .... and for me that was enough of an answer that night (and many, many days and the next few years to come) to my questions of "Why?".

Then, fast forward a few more years, Heather and Jordan went to see SCC (this time w/o us) and felt the same calling on their lives as parents - and they have adopted their sweet Sammy from Korea!

Needless to say, I was looking forward to this concert! Being only two months after the death of his little girl, Maria, I wasn't sure what to expect the tone of the concert to be. It was such a bittersweet time and quite honestly, a blessing. I heard his words and voice this time in the frame of mind as an "already parent" and was blessed and encouraged. I think my favorite song was this one for obvious reasons:

2 comments:

Heather Nicole said...

So glad that we got to share the moment with you guys. It was really special!!!!

Cyndi said...

Yes, this is one of my favorites!

A friend of ours was there and called me during "It's All Yours" so I could listen. "Every child in Africa is Yours..." Gets me every time.

I'm so glad y'all got to go!