Friday, May 23, 2008

Reminders from a three year old....

Car/driving time always allows Garrett and I to have some of our best and unexpected conversations. Today, while on our way to an appointment, Garrett was particularly talkative. And the topic was marriage. Really.

Actually, let's see, the conversation started out with Garrett asking why GG and Pop (my dad and his wife) don't have kids at their home. I explained that they DO have children and I was one of them. Which led me to explain how the how family dynamic works - which I'm sure is quite overwhelming to a 3 year old. Regardless, I ended my explanation by telling Garrett since I was a grown up I decided to get married and start my own family. And this is how things played out from there:

G: Mommy, when I am grown up I will get married, too. I will live in my own house and you can come and I will take care of you.

M: Oh, buddy that sounds really nice but you better check with your wife first - she may not want Mommy to live at your house.

G: My wife? Who will be my wife?

M: Well, I don't know, sweetie.

G: How about you, Mommy? I will marry you.

M: Unfortunately, you can't marry your Mommy. Or anyone in your family. Only other people who are friends.

G: I know, I will marry my friend, Emma!

M: Oh, is that so? You'll have to ask and make sure she wants to do that. She may want to marry someone else.

G: Oh, no! She WILL marry me. And we will have a little child named Anthony (another one of his buddies). We will live at our house and YOU will come to visit and I will take care of you.

M: Well, that sounds like a good plan, buddy. Let's hope Emma agrees!

G: What if Emma doesn't agree?

M: Then we'll just have to wait and see who you decide to love and marry. Who knows who it will be!

-Silence for a few seconds-

G: GOD KNOWS!!

Little stinker got me! Sometimes I forget or just don't realize just how much Garrett soaks in. I teach and teach and teach and a lot of the time I think it's going in one ear and out the other. But, Garrett does hear me and the words I say to him and the things I teach him are sinking into his little heart and mind. The fact that he reminded me that our God is all-knowing and all-encompassing was a wonderful reminder that I need to seize every opportunity to teach, teach, teach him and plant the seeds.

(And for those of you who need a daily update on the much anticipated, highly awaited 171 - it's still not here. Our case manager at our agency e-mailed me yesterday to say that USCIS told her this week "it's being processed". And so the wait continues.....)

2 comments:

D said...

Great lesson...and let's hope for a 171 next week! Hang in there.

Trust me, the day you pull it out of the mailbox is soooo exciting. Both times for us was such a rush!

Kristen said...

So sweet - you're doing a good job, Mama!