Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Better Late Than Never, Right?

Well, once again, my intentions were good (about staying up to date and posting the rest of our trip) but time got away from me and other things or people demanded my attention! Here is the rest of the recap from our trip to Connecticut & New York:


The third day of our trip we decided that while Connecticut was quite quaint, there just wasn't that much to REALLY do there. So, seeing as Manhattan is ONLY a train ride away, we opted to make the journey. We all got up (about 5 a.m. Dallas time) to catch the first train into a larger CT city, then the second train which took us right into Grand Central Station by about 10:00 a.m. I was a nervous wreck trying to keep up with a 3 year old in the midst of the subway....I was so worried Garrett would either fall into the tracks or a stranger would snatch him. Poor thing - I held him most of the time (while running in flip flops - bad idea by me - up and down stairs and through crowds which ultimately led to the fortune of our chiropractor once we got home). I must say that Garrett did an amazing job of staying close by!



The first train ride from point a to point b in Connecticut!




Garrett and Kenny waiting for the right train at Grand Central - Garrett was amazed and overwhelmed by the sights, sounds and speed!



Garrett and Kenny in the taxi cab - another first for the little man! It didn't dawn on me until we were IN the cab that there were no car seats. What do people do up there with babies and kids? Funny story, at the very end of the ride the driver made an illegal u-turn to drop us off at the Statue of Liberty line....a cop was standing right there and chased us down. We waited a few minutes while the driver and cop yelled at one another....I kept trying to inch our way out but was so afraid one of them would get angry. We finally escaped - no harm, no foul.



Here we are on the ferry boat ride out to Ellis Island....is that right? Are both places called Ellis Island? I am not really sure now. Anywho, it was windy, cold ride out to see the "tall green lady".




Kenny and Garrett in front of Lady Liberty - of all the times I have been to NYC I never made the effort to stand in line (over 1 1/2 hours mind you - Garrett was such a champ!) and make the journey out to see her. I was so glad we did! Sea-sickness and all!



I even got a kiss - and Kenny even captured it on film! A rarity with our fast moving three year old!



After a long, long morning Garrett finally crashed around 1:30 p.m. Now, keep in mind, this is a picture of our son, the one who cannot go to sleep if there is a bird in the tree in the front yard - really! And here he is fast asleep on Kenny's shoulder on the streets of Manhattan ... with a jackhammer pounding about 3 feet away! It was definetly picture worthy to us!



And, after missing the first train back to Connecticut, we opted to have a fun snack .... and little homeboy found himself a strawberry and chocolate cupcake. No better way to end the day!


Oh, and ps: we also went to our favorite little deli for lunch, visited FAO where I got this for a special future someone:


All in all, our trek into the city was quite memorable!

3 comments:

derrickandamy said...

How fun! I am so glad you all had a good trip. Looking forward to dinner! ~ Amy

Julie said...

Just ordered one of each for me!! So excited. What a great idea!

D said...

I'm just reading the entire entry of your day in NYC...so fun! No wonder we love you all so much...we're kindred spirits. We always try to eat at Cosi when we're in NYC! I love their fresh mozarella!