Sunday, April 22, 2007

On the road again....

Okay, if you haven't caught onto my way of thinking just yet, I will spell it out once again: my husband is not only a great husband but a great dad. Period. End of story. He's so great that he rarely, if ever, asks for a break for himself. He comes home from work, immediately pitches in with the little one and household chores and then goes above and beyond each week and weekend to make sure I get time for some "mommy-breaks". So, this weekend, I decided to give him a major "daddy-break". Garrett and I packed up and went to visit my brother and extended family in Nacogdoches



After making the drive down to Nac alone with Garrett a month or so ago, I decided to invite ourselves along for a ride down to the big city with Mimi and Poppy. They graciously accepted. Grandparents. Anything for the grandchild. Gotta love that. Only thing worth mentioning on the trip down was our awesome find of some good ole Texas Bluebonnets.




"That one, right there"





Initially I was so bummed that I hadn't dressed the little man in cute, plain and oh-so-simple-get-my-picture made in clothes. (I am one of those moms who likes to coordinate and plan the outfit to be photographed in, for like, weeks. But no choice on this one. Actually, I think the purple shirt ended up looking okay with the color of the flowers. Please don't judge me. There could be worse things to obsess over, right?) Garrett was quite hesitant to even stand in the flowers although he really wanted to pick one. "I get that one. That one. Right there!" was what he was saying as we took this picture. After further explanation, he cheerfully chanted to everyone "We no pick boo-bonnets. They stay in the guh-ound." He was oh-so-proud that he knew that particular piece of information.






Jill, Garrett and Mimi












Once into town, we stopped by my aunt and uncle's house for a quick bite to eat. And then headed out to my brother, Kyle's, baseball game (hence the coordinating, purple, SFA shirts). He is a senior at SFA and will be graduating May 13th!! We are so proud of Uncle Kyle!! And we can't wait to have him back in Dallas so we can play more often!






Isn't he handsome, too? ;)







Nannie (my grandmother), Garrett and Mimi




Later that night Uncle Kyle, G-man and myself went to a local hot-spot....Auntie Pasta's....for dinner. It was so yummy but man is the pace so unlike Dallas'....slow, slow and slower. Isn't it sad that I am used to getting in and out of a restaurant, a real, sit-down restaurant, in less than an hour? The slower pace of little Nac would do us all some good!


No nappers in the car (except Mimi) on the way home today until we were about 20 minutes from the casa. Lovely. Ever woken up a sleeping child? Or should I say, a sleeping child named Garrett? Those initial moments are generally not his finest. Hence the meltdown.



On a brighter note, I walked into a clean house. Destroyed the non-clutter look within minutes. Oh well. We're home. Back to life as we know it.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I have to say that I have one of those husbands too...it's a true gift. Your brother is HANDSOME!! The pictures look great with the purple shirt. We missed the bluebonnets this year. I'm jealous of your pictures. G-man is such a cutie! I think he and Aiden speak the same language.
Julie