Saturday, April 28, 2007

Leaves and Rocks and Dirt, Oh My! (or, Our Day at the Zoo)

We've been counting down all week. Four days. Three days. Two Days. One day. Zoo day! Today was Zoo Day for the Wade's. We packed up and headed out to the Fort Worth Zoo. Printed the directions. Packed cold drinks and snacks. Lathered on the sunscreen. Left the house before nine so we could be there right when the gates opened at ten.

Oops, somehow forgot to check the special events calendar on their web-site. Apparently it was the "Zoo Run Run" today....some type of fundraiser run at the zoo grounds. Traffic was awful and it took forever to get in the gates because, oh yeah, everyone who ran the "Zoo Run Run" (isn't that kinda fun to say?) proceeded to tour the zoo, too. Hmm. Go figure.

On a brighter note, the weather was perfect. Not too hot and a bit breezy. As soon as we got in the gates Garrett decided that "I do not like animals. I do not want to see the animals." Hmm, again, go figure. But, we coaxed him into the many animal sights and slowly but surely he accepted the fact that they were real. Let me emphasize the word "accepted". He accepted that they were there but didn't really get a big kick out of them. I think the meerkats and elephants got the most enthusiasm from him.


"Is that a meerkat? It is like Wincy." (aka: our dog Winston)

"That is the big elephant. It has wrinkles just like me when I take a bath too long."

Garrett feeding a parakeet with a stick of birdseed.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this image is one I will treasure for a long while. Can't help but falling in love all over again when I see Kenny with his little boy.

Flamingos....this is for you, Mimi!

Earlier I said that Garrett was most excited by the Meerkats and the Elephants. Actually, he was MOST excited by the leaves and rocks and dirt. Yup. Garrett became most elated when he found piles of dirt and rocks he could play in and when he found 3 red leaves for Daddy. Highlight of his trip.


Coming in as a close runner-up to the leaves, rocks and dirt was the train ride. Again, a bit apprehensive. But once the train started rolling, Garrett squealed, "It is JUST like Thomas! But it is tan and yellow." I think the way his face lit up during the ride was the most priceless memory of our day at the zoo. Shear joy, I tell you. Happiness had by all.


On the train ride. Can you see the uncertainty on G's face?

Finally, here is a picture of our cutie wearing the newest addition to his hat collection. Could the kiddo ever have enough hats? I think not.

So... Zoo-trip 2007 is complete. I think we all ended up having a good time... though mom and dad are more tired than G-Man. That's ok... we'll rest when he naps. What's that? No nap? Oh well... :)

3 comments:

MIMI said...

Loved the zoo story and photos. Must have an enlargement of the flamingo one! I am so proud that I can now comment on a "blog"...my students will be proud of me!

Julie said...

Oh, we love the Ft. Worth Zoo. We had Zoo Passes because Aiden LOVES the "Big Animals". It's better than the National Zoo in DC, honest. And I agree with you, there's nothing like seeing the man you love, loving on the baby you love. That's what it's all about. Julie
PS...let's go to China. 2009-ish? Seriously!

Haleygirl33 said...

It looks like you had fun at the zoo (even if Garrett was a bit apprehensive). Tim and I almost went to the zoo Saturday. It's been so long since I've been and I've been wanting to go...I guess we'll have to see Garrett's favorite animals (meerkats and elephants) when we go.