Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Is that her?

Eeesh. Oddest thing happened yesterday. Garrett and I had to run out to the neighborhood IKEA to return something. After the return had been made, we went up to the children's section where Garrett LOVES to plop down on each bed and pretend he is sleeping. After making the bedroom rounds, he proceeds to find the "vines like Diego" which are really streamers that you can hang from a doorway. Well, IKEA has a door with the streamers set up. Garrett will literally run back and forth through these "vines" as long as I let him.

As he's running through the vines he suddenly stops and gets this really serious look on his face. He is standing before a stinkin' cute little girl about his size with long brown hair and brown eyes. He turns to me and says:

G: Mommy, is that her?

M: What buddy?

G: Is that HER?

M: I don't know what you mean buddy.

G: Is that my new sister, Susie? (okay, he didn't say Susie. He used the name I have picked out for a girl)

Ugh. My heart melts and swells all at the same time.

You must understand that the topic of Garrett having more brothers or sisters is on-going in our home. Ongoing between Garrett and I because really, Daddy and I have already decided G-man is it. We really think/thought our family was complete. Occasionally we'll ask Garrett if he wants another sister (he has a sister, Jordyn) or brother to live at our house and the majority of the time he'll answer "NO!!". You see, he digs Jordyn because she doesn't live at our house. No problem that she visits. Just as long as she doesn't stay all the time. (No offense, Miss J....it's just a phase he's in). I mean, he'll even go so far as to make sure our playdates won't be coming home with us to be his brothers or sisters. He really doesn't want to share this good deal he has going on.

But yesterday he looked as if I had broken his heart when I told him that no, that was not his sister, which he called by the name I just adore but won't share (learned my lesson last time when everyone and their pet fish proceeded to tell me what they thought of the names we liked).

All of this evokes the age old battle of knowing how many kids are right for you and your spouse and your child? How do you know you won't look back and wish you'd done things differently? When you are more than overjoyed by the incredible blessing of your one and only and more than content with the one, how do you know that 2, 3 or 4 wouldn't feel the same way? Someone, anyone?

2 comments:

Julie said...

Oh Girl...you never know. God knows. You don't. Really. Although we have 4, I am secretly plotting to go to China and get another. Rudy was done at 2 if that tells you anything. I think when you are a mom, there will always be a tug in your heart towards more. The question of more is always there for me. It hasn't gone away, but I like where I am now. But without my "secret plan", I think I would be sad. Even if it never happens, the plan helps me think that my "Baby Days" aren't over. Hope that helps.
Julie

angela said...

I fret over that all the time. Several of my friends are pregnant with baby number two and I go back and forth with "do we or don't we?" want another one. Scottie is totally cool with Emma being an only child. I just don't want Emma to be lonely but at the same time another child could potentially make me go insane. BUT, ten years from now I don't want to look back with regret. Oh well. I am trying to let it go. If I ever did have another one I would want Emma to at least be five....so that means I have a little over a year to decide. Like we decide on those things. Heather and I are four years apart and are best friends so I know that a five year age difference is not a bad thing. A lot of people get wierd about having your kids too far apart but I have discovered that emotionally I just can't handle much. : )
Like your friend Julie said, "God knows". We know He doesn't give us more than we can handle. Obviously, right now, you and I can just handle one!!!