Yesterday afternoon Garrett would NOT take a nap and by that I mean he was in his bed but would NOT go to sleep. The child has some sort of mechanism in him that fights sleep and it usually prevails. Around 3:10 I finally got Garrett to go to sleep and around 3:45 the sirens started blaring. Not the sirens of our house alarm but the sirens at the fire station (I think that's where they come from) signalling a tornado watch/warning. I assumed that's what it was but thought I should refer to the resident expert of life, Ms. Neighbor. I called Ms. Neighbor and she indeed confirmed to take cover. I ran and woke the sleeping beauty up (which goes against every rule in our household book), grabbed my cell phone as directed by Ms. Neighbor and found the center room of our home that contained no windows - the small kids bath.
We snuggled up and G actually fell back asleep. Until while talking on the cell phone with Kenny I was prompted to get up, get pillows and heavy quilts for protection, a heavy duty flashlight, a house phone, water/juice & snacks and my cell phone charger. Insert sheer panic here. I mean, really? Really? I was envisioning the worst. Apprarently I'm a jewel of calmness in times of stress, strain and emergency.
And then Ms. Neighbor called back to give me updates (because she had the inside scoop - her sister was watching tv in Denton and could relay to us minute by minute weather forcasting). Apparently the weather man predicted the tornado would come right down the main street our neighborhood is off of and may or may not touch down....lovely. More panic. Garrett and I prayed out loud. I must say that I appeared calm for the sake of my child but deep inside I was really glad my new life insurance had just kicked in last week. Really. My mind went terrible places.
Any who, enough drama. Here's the cute part....when Kenny came home from work and we were having dinner together, Garrett proceeded to tell Kenny all about the tow-nado and how we got in the baff-tub and snuggled up. Kenny said, "Mommy sure did keep you safe, huh?" Garrett nodded and agreed but interjected with, "And JESUS! Jesus kept me safe."
Loved it. Teared up.
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh Jill, we are kindred spirits. During tornado 'o7, Five month old Caroline and I were huddled in the itty bitty hall closet with pillows, blankets and diapers...Derrick came home and LAUGHED. Apparently I was not the picture of calm composure! Yea! for Jesus!!
Post a Comment