Thursday, June 7, 2007

Swim Lessons 2007

So, it's Swim Season 2007 and in an effort to give the little man every opportunity to shine as a swimmer, I signed him up for swim lessons. With the same swim instructor as last year. The swim instructor who has been teaching swim lessons for over 10 years and I'm sure has never experienced what the Wade Family brought to the table - or pool - this year. The swim instructor who, thank goodness, is a good friend of mine and has a toddler about the same age and will just laugh it off with me.

I say thank goodness because this is the second year in a row that my child has not participated during the lessons. Just splashing. Blowing bubbles. A little kick here or there. But no real interest in doing anything new. And last year I was very okay with this. I got to chit-chat with Ms. Swim Instructor each day, catch up on all the latest news, etc. I paid her for her time and moved on. No worries. He wasn't even two yet.


But this year I just knew, KNEW, he would turn into a star swimmer. We even signed up to take the private lesson with best buddy's kiddo who is a bit older and whom Garrett thinks can walk on water -- she's just that cool to him. So, I thought, if ever Garrett doesn't want to do something, say, get in, he'd be totally motivated by the big girl swimmer.


Yeah. Um. No. Kiddo loves the water. Just doesn't want to be told what to do in the water.


I cannot count how many times Ms. Swim Instructor and I have heard "I do not want to do that. No-no-no. I do not tink so. I just stay on the white part (shelf area with a fountain)" all the while with a sweet little voice. I finally gave up. I didn't even try to get in the water for motivation today, the last day.


Poor Ms. Swim Instructor. She felt so sorry for us that she wouldn't even accept our money this year. Ms. Swim Instructor will know better next year and take our money up front. We'll definitely have to take her out to eat or pay for a cool, hip entrance to some kiddy water park for her and her daughter. Something. Geez. I really feel bad.

And so, I'll leave you with a picture that will forever be burned into my memory of Swim Lessons 2007:



Uh-huh. That would be Garrett not swimming and even fleeing the pool with Ms. Swim Instructor behind him teaching best buddy's kiddo - who cooperated ever so nicely.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh girl...I have been there. I don't even try swim lessons anymore. Carter is, let's say, not a risk taker. And Aiden has huge sensory issues in the water. So, after two summers of tears...forget it! They'll learn to swim when they ask for lessons because all the other kids in High School can swim!! Not going to worry about that one :)