Saturday, June 16, 2007

Alo-who and Alko-what?




So, this morning, we Wade's decided that since our most coveted plan of going to the neighborhood pool was nixed due to the morning rain, we'd head on over to the mall to get some good exercise in the play area, toy store (thanks for that introduction Big H) and merry-go-round. We made it to the toy store but somehow didn't make it to the other two.



After exiting the toy store without a hitch, we began walking and came into contact with one of those little kiosk booths. That had pet crabs. That I have been eyeing, oddly so, ever since the kiosk came to the mall. For some strange and unexplainable reason, every time I see this kiosk I am intrigued.


I never had pet hermit crabs as a kid. I did have two dogs at all times. So don't even feel sad for me. My parents were/are the best. But I always wanted some little creatures. And my grandmother, Gran, was oh-so-good at taking me to the pet store when I went to visit her but never let me take home the hamster, rabbit or gerbil. I think she must have known my mama would have had a stroke. Or my daddy. Not sure which one. But anyway, I kept thinking that Garrett would see these crabs and throw a fit of all fits to have them. Not once in all of our trips to the mall has he done this.

Today he was intrigued by them. He watched them silently in some sort of awe. Not sure what kind but some kind. So, being the, um, what did Kenny call me, oh right, being the "projector of my childhood" I enthusiastically asked G-man if he wanted to pick out some pet crabs to take home.


"Okay, Mommy."



I am not sure who was more excited. Me or the kiddo. Wait. Yes I do. It was me.


Garrett picked out a lovely blue little tank/box thingy to keep them in and picked out green sand as their padding. He then took his sweet time picking out TWO little hermit crabs. A fine yellow one and a fine green. Both neon-esque.


I paid, Garrett sat down in his stroller and we were off. I stopped at one point to ask him what the crabs should be named. He said, "Al-oh-wee and Al-koh-wee".





Uh-huh. I repeated those names over and over again just to make sure I had the pronunciation correct. Yuppers. That's really their names. Apparently Garrett is French. Or Hawaiin. Or something other than American. Poor kiddo kept looking at me like, "Duh, Mom. I've told you their names like 100 times. Why do you keep asking?"





So, we trekked Alohwee and Alkohwee through the mall, into the car and home into G's bedroom to watch him while he sleeps. I've been sitting here typing and listening to the monitor to make sure he doesn't try to sneak them into his bed. I am not real sure putting them in his room was the best choice. We'll soon know.




So, now that you have been enlightened by the oh-so-exciting tales of hermit crabs, don't judge me. I have no idea what I've gotten myself into. I do know, however, that Kenny will be right there waiting to tell me "I told you so" whenever this little experiment fails. So you experienced mamas, no need to leave me one of those comments.

No comments: