I repeat, Benadryl is NOT our friend.
Garrett has had these awful looking bug bites on the back of his legs for over a week. At first, they looked like small mosquito bites. But as the week has progressed they have tripled in size. After they started to develop rings around them, I called the pediatrician's office to make sure it was all "normal".
Let me just stop right here and give a huge shout out to Betty (real name not used to protect the innocent). Betty, you deliver every time. The monotone voice, the passive-aggressive comments and the utter lack of encouragement to a first time mom who only wants to check in and make sure her little one is safe. You got it all goin' on Betty.
If you can't tell, I just adore Betty at the pediatrician's office. (insert sarcasm here) Why she is the ONLY nurse to EVER return my calls, I do not know. I probably should start sending Betty love gifts to butter her up for the next time I call. Or I could find a new pediatrician.
Now that you know the tone of the conversation, it goes a little something like this:
B: "Well, Mrs. Wade, I don't know what to tell you. They are bug bites."
J: "Yes, I am aware they are bug bites. I am concerned about....blah, blah-blah, blah-blah"
B: "Well, Mrs. Wade. I would suggest you do x,y,z"
One of the x,y or z's was to give G Benadryl every six hours. Even though he wasn't itching. It should help the swelling she says.
First dose given at 2 pm. No problem. Second dose given at 8 pm (bedtime). Daddy leaves to go to his softball game leaving me to fend for myself. No problem.
I put Garrett to bed. Kiddo has such a happy heart. So happy it encourages him to call out "Mommy" over 100 times, splatter his whole sippy cup of juice on his sheets, pillow, somehow creating a ring around his pj shirt neck, throws every "blanky bear" across the room, listens to 2 rounds of his B-I-N-G-O CD and oh yes, call out "MOMMY" another 100 and 20 times.
I tried the sweet, Mommy will rub your back routine and the Mommy will change your sheets ad PJ's without being too upset routine. And finally, I realize. He isn't just 'not sleepy'. He is WIRED. And it's the dang Benadryl.
Darn that Betty!
At this point in the evening, I dragged him into my bed because I was going to pass out from exhaustion in his little twin bed with double guard rails. Which would have left me with lovely neck and back cramps for days. He still put up a good fight in my room. Little fella didn't fall asleep until 10:44 pm.
Darn that Betty!
So, point to that story is that Benadryl is NOT our friend because it WIRES our child. Until 10:44 pm and then only allows him to sleep for 30-40 minute increments at a time until right before 6 in the morning.
Needless to say I threw the bottle of Benadryl out as I cursed, I mean prayed for, Betty and the the lovely advice she shared.
On a brighter note, the bug bites are improving. And we now own 3 types of bug repellent. I pray one will work.
Anyone know of a Benadryl alternative?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yup...not our friend either. We were told to give Carter some on the plane ride to Jamacia when he was almost 2. WIRED!! Stuck on a plane. I feel your pain. But now you know. It doesn't happen to all kids that way, just to the lucky moms!!
Ditto on that...we haven't actually tried the Benadryl, but ANY antihistimine is strictly forbidden for Mommy and Caroline both. Our last trek into that abyss landed us with a 3 month old who absolutely REFUSED to close her eyes!!!!
Post a Comment