Tuesday, April 7, 2009

We're Usually Not This Wishy-Washy

Yes, friends, it is true! I will be standing, just like I am in the above picture, in that pink baby room next week!

Kenny and I usually are not ones to go back and forth changing our minds once decisions have been made. For instance, once we purchase tickets to travel half way around the world, we don't usually change or plans. At all. And certainly not THREE times!

But, that is exactly what we have done AGAIN! I am recovering much more quickly from my surgery than I ever anticipated, and my surgeon has cleared me to travel next week! I had to think long and hard on this one but in the end, Kenny and I decided it was best for our whole family to be together for this monumental occasion. I may be more tired than normal and may not be able to carry luggage or our 23 lb. girl much. BUT. I WILL be able to have the sweet memory of seeing both my son's and husband's face when they see Ellie Tsion for the first time. And that's worth it.

Our funny, thoughtful friend, D, will no longer be traveling with us. Originally, we had a helper going with us (more on her in a minute), but, once we found out Kenny would be the only member of our family traveling, we thought it was all around best if Kenny's travel buddy was a man. And now that I'm going on the trip, we are back to taking our original travel buddy. (Don't worry, D knew these continency plans all along - we are not truly cold hearted people who give and take away international trips on purpose!)

We are super bummed that D won't be going, but God's timing has once again proven more perfect than any of us could have ever predicted. His mother-in-law is in the hospital right now and it would be easier on his family if he was you know, HERE. And, we'll continue to look forward to our big trip back to Ethiopia with all of our friends/family who have adopted from there one day!

So now, let me introduce you to our travel buddy/helper, Heather:


Heather has been planning to go with us to Ethiopia since last fall but stepped back when we found out Kenny would be going alone (she totally understand Kenny was most comfortable traveling with another male). She has graciously agreed to serve our family as a helper, nanny, gopher, etc. We are taking our four year old son, Garrett, and while we KNOW that idea may seem insane to some of you, we feel it is important for him to experience bringing home his new sister. Although we don't think the idea to take him is insane, we do think trying to do it all on our own would be insane, hence, why we are taking a "helper".

Our dear helper and her husband have been friends of ours for almost a decade. We met at our old church when Kenny served with them in the worship and arts department. To say we miss seeing them each Sunday morning is an understatement.

They adopted their son internationally and TOTALLY "get" this stage of our lives. Heather and Jordan have been by our sides throughout this adoption process, and we must say, God has blessed our socks off with their support and friendship.

All for now....I'm off to pack! Seven more days to get ready!

1 comment:

4Hoffman's said...

I'm so glad you are well enough to go on this journey! What a special experience for you to share with Garrett! I think that's wonderful that he is going too! CONGRATS again and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family on this journey!