Sunday, April 19, 2009

Easter in Ethiopia

We have had a wonderfully smooth trip so far! Garrett was an absolute doll on the plane - slept on and off but didn't eat much other than his snacks. Heather and I had quite the upset tummies but felt much better the next day.

Our first day here we spent at the baby home with Tsion....as we walked up the stairs she greeted us! She was walking down the hallway all on her own. It was a chaotic meeting and entire day because the older boys were home from school and were quite excited. Garrett got very overwhelmed by them but still did great with Tsion.

Today is Easter here and last night there were celebrations all through the night - singing, parades, prayers blasted over the loud speakers throughout the city, etc. We were all up from about 11pm-4:30am and then up again at 5am.

We called Tegist (the orphanage director) and changed our plans for today (Sunday) so that we could nap this afternoon. She offered to bring Tsion to the Guest Home we are staying at along with a caregiver so we could still spend some time with her (and allow Garrett to nap/not be overwhelmed by the big boys).

When they arrived today Tsion was sleeping. We had a chance to ask lots of questions about her schedule, preferences, etc. When she woke up, she was very overwhelmed and confused as to where she was. Poor little girl... Eventually the caregivers left the room and Kenny and I spent about 1 1/2 hours with her. She was extremely shy and probably scared - SO not like the little girl I met in January. Stranger danger/separation anxiety has definitely kicked in for her.

Tomorrow we plan to spend the bulk of the day at the baby home with Tsion in her own environment. Please pray she opens up and feels more relaxed with us. We really want this process to be as smooth as possible for her. It is breaking our hearts to see her scared. As far as food goes, we are loving the pasta and pizza! Garrett loves the strawberry/banana smoothies they make here, too. Luckily, we are all in good health (thanks to probiotics and preventative Pepto!).

All for now.... Jill

3 comments:

Marcia Michele said...

I gotta tell you, it is such a good thing that she is feeling anxious and has the "stranger danger" feeling. From my experience in my job, this is a GREAT sign that she has developed well and knows how to form healthy attachments. It will take some time, but one day that attachment will be to your family. I love you guys and am praying for you all.

A said...

I have been thinking about you all SO much! I can understand how Garrett was overwhelmed by the other kids--I was and I am a grown woman! As you recall, it is a much better environment when the older kids are in school. I hope that it is a better day for him. Poor Tsion!! I am so sorry she is struggling Wait for the third day after you have brought her back to stay at the EGH. We heard from most adoptive parents that the third day was a turning point for their babies. They weren't as scared and began to accept things better. The third day was a turning point for Ella. Will pray for the transiition for all of you. Love you all.

4Hoffman's said...

So glad to hear things are going well! I'm sure little Ellie will be all about her new family in just a short time! My prayers are with you and can't wait to hear more about your journey!