
You know, from going to see my daughter in Africa!
Where do I begin? Well, about a week and a half ago we received the news that our court date for our daughter's adoption finalization in Africa had been moved to February 27th. Which meant that the earliest we'd travel to bring her home would be the end of March or early April. Earliest. I was crushed (and so was Kenny). We've known about our sweet girl since the middle of September and waiting for her has been so hard - and that's putting it mildly.
By the end of that day things began to turn around. Our friend Luke (of this sweet family) was planning to leave for Africa on that Friday - just 2 1/2 days later. I e-mailed and spoke to him and found out he had a spot open within the group he was going with to do some non-profit work. It was a long shot but we thought it was worth pursuing. I checked on airfare - it was reasonable. I checked with the agency and orphanage director - both cheered me on to go. I had one last immunization to get and wasn't sure if it would take effect in time to travel - the nurse said it was okay, to go. All lights were green and I was good to go.
Doing something spur of the moment like this is SO not my character. I am a planner. I like to think things through a million times and then re-analyze it from every possible angle. But being on such a quick time table I didn't have the chance - I just picked myself up out of the pity party I was having and packed my bags for Africa.
Last Friday afternoon Kenny and Garrett took me to the airport and I began the 1 1/2-ish day journey to meet our daughter.
On Sunday (Saturday evening US time) I fell in love for the third time (first Kenny, then Garrett) with the most beautiful, precious and amazing little girl. I am having trouble putting into words what it was like to meet and spend four days with my daughter. MY daughter. OUR daughter. HIS sister. All I can say is that my time with her was a blessing.
I will write more later after I have slept some more and processed all that I have seen. Just wanted to let you all know that I am home safe and my heart is resting easier having seen with my own eyes that sweet Ellie T is loved and safe until she's home, too.
6 comments:
SOOOOO happy for you, and a bit jealous! Can't wait to hear more!
Love you!
I can't even think of anything meaningful or intelligent to say right now. Truly I'm just a blubbering idiot over all of this. I am so happy that you got to go and can't wait to hear more. At which time I'll surely become a blubbering idiot once more. Love you bunches!!
"HIS sister."
you're killing me, here. oh my word, i am so LOVING this post and can't believe you really saw her. you really loved on her. you really spent time with her. it is so surreal.
and it's not even my daughter.
praise Jesus.
That just brings tears to my eyes. I am so glad you got to see her and know she is in a good place. I am sorry the court date was pushed back...will say a prayer about that. Hang in there and enjoy that meeting. The next will be here before you know it!
So sorry your court date got bumped.
Very happy to hear that you got to meet your daughter. What a blessing. I'll be praying as the 27th gets closer that it stays put and everything goes well.
Watching you meet your daughter was a definite highlight of MY trip, too!! Praying for you and family!!
Post a Comment