Friday, May 4, 2007

Re-Decorating Rendezvous

So this will be a post about me. Jill. Mommy, only. If you are here only for the Garrett fan-fair, please exit now. Gee, there go 99.9% of my readers. Don't worry. I know my rank on your list.





So, after a LONG, LONG day of working from my little, messy, home-office (yuppers, worked for my keep today) I decided to shut down shop. I closed that work laptop and vowed to do something, anything just for me tonight. At home. Without spending a penny.




I decided to dig into our guest closest where I keep all of my "not in use but might be someday" fabrics, framed pictures/prints and accessories. You know. All of those things that were a perfect fit in my old house but just haven't seemed to find a perfect spot in this new one.





And then I proceeded to do a bit of re-decorating in my dining room and entry way. **Insert Kenny's groan and sigh here** As a side note, this is oh-so-very typical of me. I get bored with my home decorating very easily and tend to re-arrange furniture, re-hang pictures, totally swap accessories from one room to the other. A lot of times I'll make a game plan for how I'll decorate when the budget so allows. And, most of the time, I don't follow through or take action on my decisions when budget does allow. Drives a few of you crazy, I know. But I like to weigh all of my options. Take my time.





And for the life of him, my hubby can't seem to figure out the fun in this. Neither can my dad. Inter-esting. But I still rope them in. Well, just Kenny.





Let me just say, I've had a ball. Am I a nerd or what? I took some action tonight. I re-covered the seat cushions on the two chairs in the entry way with the fabric left over from the kitchen. And mwa-la. Better. So much better. I took down accessories hanging in the dining room (not much) and puddied and painted the holes. G-man assisted. Let him do the painting. And yes, I know what you experienced mommas are thinking. Probably not the best move on my part because surely he will one day soon paint on another wall WITHOUT my permission. Moved the grandfather clock that belonged to my Gran to the corner. Made a game plan for where to hang the new pictures, which fabric to have the curtains made out of, chose a paint to have the walls painted and made a mental note to shop for swatches of fabric to recover the seat cushions to the chairs.

See, I did rope them in. The boys helping me re-cover the seat
cushions. Garrett using his pliers. Just. Like. Daddy. And, no. I don't take pics
just for this blog. I thought this was a priceless, father-son shot. Thought you might, too.



And for the grand finale, I dug out all of my home decorating magazines. Spread them out, flipped, flipped, flipped. Tore out some of my favorite accessory placing ideas. Arranged the pages near the area to be duplicated. Wondered where I could get these said accessories for less than the magazine was wanting.





Sound ambitious? I think so. But to those of you who know me, you know it might be another 6-12 months before I take action at all. If ever. I just can't seem to make decisions in our new home. Can't seem to get many projects done. Rumor is, it's because I have a little one running around and I'd rather be playing. True. For the most part. Or maybe I'm becoming a decorating snail. Just because I'm me.





Either way, had a ball. Had. A. Ball.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ok...now it's your turn to come to my house!! We still have boxes to be unpacked. I am very jealous of your ability to decorate. I have no articistic bone in me. We'll I can cross-stitch and scrapbook, but those don't look good hanging on the wall. So, if you feel the need for a 19hour car ride, come this way and mi casa es su casa.

Julie