Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I am determined (and Day 1)

I am determined to blog about our trip to Ethiopia to bring home Ellie before the end of 2009! Honestly, I just looked through all 700+ pictures from our trip and was brought to tears.

Processing our trip has been so .... so.... I don't have the word .... much? Hard? Overwhelming? Heartbreaking? Disabling? Yes, all of those words and then some.

I have really been surprised how tender my memories are of our trip to Ethiopia and back. I have spent 6+ months trying to give the right words to each day of our trip, each person we met, each set of eyes I looked into. But I really can't do it justice or fully come up with the words to convey the memories in my heart.

However, I would like to be able to record some, any memories I have so that they do not fade. So, my goal for myself is to simply post pictures and anything I can remember (and share - some things I won't) from our 10 days of travel. And not worry about the words being just right or perfect. Let it just be. Anything "on paper" is better than nothing!I'm going to ease myself into this....here is our first day of travel!

I remember waking up that Thursday morning, running errands with Garrett (trying to find enough crisp, unmarked $100 bills) while Kenny did some last minute work at the office, meeting up with Kenny at our favorite Mexican restaurant for one last meal as a family of three and then coming home, stuffing socks into one of our TWELVE suitcases/backpacks and scrambling like crazy up until the moment our sweet, dear neighbor and friend, Kristie, picked us up. We crammed all twelve bags into her SUV, drove through Chic-fil-a for a Dr. Pepper and headed to the airport.


Once we got there we unloaded and were greeted by some of our favorite friends, D and E-Girl. D had some pictures for us to deliver to the Baby Home staff.


We proceeded inside where we met up with our travel buddy/helper, Auntie Heather.




After frantically checking in only to find out our seats were NOT assigned with one another, D prayed for us and sent us on our way through security. I don't remember much other than being EXTREMELY paranoid I was going to lose our passports, HUGE accordion file folder of adoption documents or cash. Oh, and I remember Kristie telling me right before we left "take a deep breath....BREATHE". I needed to hear that. In the worst way. Eventually our seat assignments were rearranged and we boarded the first flight to Germany.

We let Garrett watch as many DVD's as he wanted, play as much Leapster as he wanted and eat any and all snacks that he wanted. I must say, Garrett was amazingly well behaved on the 9+ hour flight. We all snoozed off and on, tried to eat the airplane food (well, Kenny ate his AND ours) and then ran like crazy to make our connecting flight to Ethiopia. Trying to pull 4 carry on suitcases and 4 backpacks AND a sleepy toddler through the German airport was NOT easy.

But, we made our flight! And, if I remember correctly, we all took turns sitting with Garrett (we were seated 2 and 2) during our second 8 or 9 hour flight. I think the end of this flight is where my tummy issues began; looking back I am not sure if it was a combination of airplane food and the recent loss of my gall bladder or nerves ... maybe all three!

As we landed I remember losing it - weeping a deep, deep set of emotions as we descended over the land where our daughter was living. At first I thought it was because we were so close to her, and I'm sure that was part of it. But I'll never forget the overwhelming burden I felt in my heart for this country. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't do anything but let the tears roll down my face. And being hugged by my sweet friend, Heather. Having her there was SUPPOSED to be for Garrett, but I am ever so thankful I was able to share moments like this one with a dear friend and fellow adoptive mother.

After making it off the flight, getting our transit visas and finding our luggage (it all made it!!) we were greeted by the Baby Home director and one of the care givers. We made plans to meet the next day and were then taken to The Ethiopia Guest Home where we stayed while in Ethiopia.

And, that's Day 1 1/2 folks!

2 comments:

Marcia Michele said...

Yea for finally getting to hear about Ethiopia!!!

Elizabeth said...

This is great! I am on the edge of my seat and can't wait to hear more :) Happy Thanksgiving!