Did ya'll ever watch the Cosby Show episode where Rudy was five years old and felt left out of the family, so Claire Huxtable (sp??) ends up in a tent in the back yard with her, convincing her that being five years old is really great? And, at the end Claire and Rudy are saying things like "Five year olds can (you fill in the blank). Yay Five!"
Well, I am convinced Claire had her timing all wrong. She was supposed to say "Yay Three" because 3 is the age (at least at our house) in which little ones go potty. All. By. Themselves.
YAY THREE!!!
I have been holding off sharing the good news for one week now so as not to jinx the luck we're having. Apparently, all of you wise mommas out there were right when you told me to 1)Wait until he's three and 2)He'll tell you when he's ready. The first one sounded dreadfully okay but the second one seemed unbelievable.
Until last Tuesday when Garrett announced that he was ready to wear big-boy undies and use the potty. And get a fish. Because I had promised him a while back a fish for his bathroom (to look at while going potty) if he chose to use the potty. The enticement fizzled for many weeks. But, after seeing a fish tank at a doctors appointment, he pulled that thought from about 2 months ago out of his memory and badgered me with it all morning long.
So, I did what I had to do. We bought the fish. We bought MORE big boy undies and these magical "protectors" that have allowed ME to not worry as much about accidents - thank you lovely lady at church for the recommendation - genius! (And in case you are wanting or looking for them, we actually ended up finding them at Wal-Mart)
I really thought that potty training would entail loads of laundry, tantrums and staying home all of the time. But, I was wrong. We've been on the go from day one and no problems. REALLY? REALLY? I keep thinking Garrett will change his mind. But, I called his Daddy at work today to say, due to a series of lovely pottying accomplishments this morning, that there's no turning back. This kiddo is serious about his potty. I hope I don't have to eat those words anytime in the near future.
Until then.......YAY THREE!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
WooHoo! I am hoping fervently that I can say yay two...because we aren't even close, but two is WAY CLOSER than three!~Amy
well, PRAISE JESUS! i mean, can i be one of those people that says, "see...i told you so." you will be so amazed once he does it for a couple of weeks, it will be old hat to him. crazy phenomenon. i am so excited for you guys!
Oh the glory days of no diapers!! Enjoy. I think that's one of the biggest accomplishments as a parent...potty training!! Now, save all empty Dr. Pepper bottles for "Tinkle Jars" for the car. You never know when they need to go! And going in a jar is a benefit of being a boy!!!
J
Post a Comment