Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Sign of Things to Come?

This afternoon, as I was on the ump-teenth trip into Garrett's room during his supposed nap time to answer his sweetness' requests, I was delighted to hear this request:

G: Mommy, my diap-uh hoits me. I need to take this diap-uh off, Mommy.

M: Okay, we can take your diaper off but what will you wear instead?

G: I will not wu-eh anything, Mommy. I will go sit on my potty and let the tee-tees and poo-poos come out.

So, as fast as I could, I tore that thing off and let him lead the way. Garrett actually SAT on the potty. Now, some of you may be thinking "big deal". Let me just stop you right there in your thought process. This is HUGE for our little man because he has NEVER wanted to sit on the potty or even stand near it for the purpose of putting anything in it. And NEVER has he led me to the potty himself. Back in the Great Potty Training Expedition of this Spring I always had to bribe him or convince him to at least sit on the throne.

But not today. Today, he sat on the potty and chatted about all of the things that might happen while sitting there. One might think that I was disappointed that the little man produced nothing, but that fool would be mistaken. I was so ecstatic with Garrett prompting me to go and sit on the potty. Never mind the fact that it all could have been a ploy to get himself out of nap time. Who cares? Not this momma!

I am going to be cautiously optimistic that there is a future full of potties and big boy underwear!! And I am going to pray that it will all happen and be done with by the end of this year. Seriously. Either I am over-aiming or under-shooting. I am not really sure what to do next other than encourage him and continue to allow him to take the lead. Any other ideas??

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bribe, Bribe, Bribe!

Or you could let him help pack up the diapers and send them to the "babies"...this is what we did a couple of months ago with the nighttime pullups!

Glad you are off to a good start...

Christie

Julie said...

NAKED TIME!!! I'm stay away from all pull-ups and use only diapers and underware. If he's OK with it, be naked all the time. He will know what's happening and all my children have been potty trained this way. Works well for us and it's so low stress. Good luck and remember, there's no timeline...he won't go to Kindergarten in diapers! He'll get it.
J