Monday, July 2, 2007

You took the camera where?

Yes, folks. I took the handy digital camera to the movie theater to record my little prince's first movie experience. Kenny rolled his eyes. The ticket lady seemed very confused. And the two guys behind us in line made several huffs and puffs. But I didn't care. I didn't want to miss this photo op opportunity to record one of Garrett's "firsts".

I know, I know. I am sad. I really need to let go of the fact that not everything needs to be documented on film. But I just can't stand to let one minute of his young life go by. In my mind, I guess I think that if I slow down these "firsts" with the film, then maybe, just maybe, he won't grow up so fast. Again, Kenny will insert the rolling of the eyes here, too.


So, back to the story. On Sunday morning we had nothing to do because we had made plans to go to church that night. Gotta love our church. Anyway, Kenny had decided we needed to get to a store at North Park mall in order to be there when the doors opened at noon. And we really didn't have enough time to go to the pool AND come home to shower AND get to North Park in time for the opening. So, he randomly suggested we take Garrett to his first movie. At the North Park theater.

That did it for me. I hopped up, showered, got dressed. All in record time. I was so elated to take the little man to his first movie. And apprehensive. You see, Garrett doesn't even sit through a 20 minute episode of anything without walking around, playing simultaneously with a toy, eating a snack, etc. And each time we've tried to rent a movie and watch it at home, he bails within the first 30 minutes. So, we were apprehensive that the length of the movie, the loud noise and the darkness might freak him out.






It didn't! He walked in all big and mighty and proud of himself, climbed into his seat and snacked away. Once the movie (and real noise) started he scooted on over to my lap. I think the blaring penguins surfing were a bit much for him. But he hung in there for about 55 minutes. And then, without much warning, he got up, and proceeded to pick up my purse and his little bag and tell us, "It is time to go. Let's go. That's all Momma and Daddy."

And so we left. I think Daddy was a bit bummed we didn't get to see the end of the movie but heck, we got to see more than I even anticipated. It was a morning to remember.

As an added bonus, we ventured into the food court. And they had the most divine little salad joint I've ever found. I am trying to find a reason to waste about $5 in gas to drive over there for a $10 salad. Surely there's another errand I can run that way. You know, about 45 minutes from my home.

So, all in all, this day was hit. One to remember. Through memory and film.

1 comment:

Julie said...

So fun... Now you'll be looking forward to any G-Rated movie that comes out. Carter (5) and Aiden (4) are movie pros and it's a fun outing for us. Easton (2) is good for about as long as Garrett. Have Kenny call if he wants to know the ending of the movie :) FUN TIMES!