Friday, July 20, 2007

Heartbroken

As "we" approach the big 3, I am becoming more and more heartbroken. I do this every year about one to two months prior to Garrett's birthday. I get all sappy. I start looking back through all of his baby pictures. I reminisce over all of the milestones he's met. I then become more and more aware that he is growing up.

Don't get me wrong. I am so very proud of Garrett - who is he, what he has accomplished and the fact that he is healthy and developing normally. BUT. I get sad just thinking that these years are slipping by faster and faster. I mean, wasn't he just in size 2 diapers? And wasn't he just still needing a burping after each feeding?

Now it's size 6 diapers and doing good to even get him to sit still for a meal.

My little baby has suddenly turned into a little boy. Gulp. Wipe the tears.

And today my sense of awareness about his turning three soon was heightened to a new level. I am really bitten by the reality of his growing up today because Garrett got a new haircut. Like Daddy's. Short. And it oozes little boyness.

I have made the executive decision that we are going to immediately start to grow out his precious locks. You may not be able to tell very well from this picture, but Garrett got a VERY short crew/buz cut. I am really not sure what the proper, technical, hair savvy verbage would be, so bear with me. All I know is that it is short and made a few tears slip down my cheeks.

And that smile? What, he almost turns three and he whips out the cheesy grin?

Apparently I have so much to learn. And to let go of. So that when the day comes for him to go off to college or get married, I won't totally lose it and have to be checked into a loony bin. Or something. You know what I mean.

1 comment:

Julie said...

It never stops for me either. Although I am thankful and excited for each new phase, it's hard to let go. I'll be praying for you. I know just the bittersweetness your heart has. You are doing a great job!!